Monday 14 January 2008

A Poem Written From A Long Long Time Ago

My name is Ahlam
I was but three,
My eyes were swollen
I couldn't see,
I must have been stupid
I must have been bad,
What else could have made
My daddy so mad?
I wished I was better
I wished I wasn't ugly,
Then maybe my daddy
Would have still wanted to hug me.
I couldn't speak at all
I couldn't do a wrong
Or else I was locked up
All the day long.
When I awoke
I was all alone
The house was dark
My daddy wasn't home
When my daddy did come
I tried to be nice,
I thought maybe I'll get just
One whipping that tonight.
I didn't make a sound!
I had heard a car
My daddy was back
From his daily job.
I heared him curse
My name he called
I pressed myself
Against the wall
I tried and hid
From his evil eyes
I was so afraid
I started to cry
He found me weeping
He shouted ugly words,
He said it was my fault
That he suffered at work.
He slapped me and hit me
And yelled at me more,
I finally got free
And I ran for the door.
He'd already locked it
And I started to bawl,
He took me and threw me
Against the hard wall.
I fell to the floor
With my bones nearly broken,
And my daddy continued
With more bad words spoken.
"I'm sorry!", I screamed
But it was much too late
His face had been twisted
Into unimaginable hate
The hurt and the pain
Again and again
Oh please God, have mercy!
Oh please let it have ended!
And he finally stopped
And headed for the door,
While I lay there motionless
Sprawled on the floor
My name is Ahlam
And I was but three,
That night my daddy
Tried to murder me

5 comments:

Hopeless Poet said...

:(
This poem should be used by the UNICEF.

I liked the first half of it the most just because of the rhymes since I am a rhyming freak you can say :P But all in all it is well written :)

How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

Gloomy said...

very well written. i started crying wallah :'(

Saudi Pearl said...

hopeless poet: thnx for ur comment, in fact i wrote that poem years ago, oh and i am 17, soon to be 18.

Gloomy: thnx for comment, i knw its sad but plz dont cry, save ur tears for special moments like wen u hold ur first born for the first time and for wen u get married. i belive tears r for pleasure rather than for pain, so plz dont cry :)

Mohammed Haseeb Shaikh said...

this poem is heart touching.....
i read dis poem twice..... i liked that.
i want to ask you, what made u wright dis poem and that also years ago? y did u wright tht poem?
at what age did u right that poem?

Saudi Pearl said...

mohammed haseed shaikh: thnx for ur comment. i wrote this poem roughly at the start of my teen which was ike 13 or 14. cant remember that well and i wrote it because i had jst started to express my feelings through writing. i would write millions of poems every week and they would all be as sweet but suicidal as the the ones before. i wrote this poem because i finally realised that i wasnt the bad one. my father used me as an excuse for his stress at work and for not having my mother who died giving birth to me.